1. The Commonwealth Games were first held in 1930 and usually takes place every four years.
2. The multi-sport event is attended by athletes from the Commonwealth of Nations, an organisation of around 53 states that were former British Empire territories.
3. Nigeria was the first country to boycott the Commonwealth Games in 1978 in protest over New Zealand’s sporting contacts with South Africa.
4. The 2002 Commonwealth Games made history as the first fully inclusive games after athletes with disabilities were included as full members of national teams.
5. Only six countries have attended every Commonwealth Games: Australia, Canada, England, New Zealand, Scotland, and Wales.
— RSA Min of Sport (@MbalulaFikile) September 2, 2015
#Durban2022 Is the place to be
— Mxolisi (@Vertron_X) September 2, 2015
#Durban2022 Proudly South African:)
— Lerato Mashego (@MashproRp) September 2, 2015